Blog is moving

My blog is moving to http://victormendonca.com/blog/. If you are looking for a specific or older post you are in the right place Otherwise check out my new page for more up to date content.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Gnome Touchpad Settings Missing in Arch (XPS 13 9360)

I had an issue where the Gnome extension 'Touchpad Indicator' stopped working on my XPS 13 (Arch). After looking a bit further, it seems that the Gnome Touchpad settings had also stopped working. All I could see was the mouse settings, and the touchpad section was completely gone.

Solution:
With Gnome 3.20, xf86-input-synaptics is not longer supported, and you should use xf86-input-libinput instead.
You can check what is installed on your Arch system with pacman -Q | grep input. In my case, I had both packages installed:
$ pacman -Q | grep input
inputproto 2.3.2-1
libinput 1.8.2-1
xf86-input-libinput 0.26.0-1
xf86-input-synaptics 1.9.0-1
xorg-xinput 1.6.2-1
Remove xf86-input-synaptics and any configuration file (like /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf), install xf86-input-libinput and reboot. That should get your configuration working again.

No comments: